Sunday, November 29, 2009

Beta Formal and The Accidental Wedding Crasher

A few weeks ago, my Fraternity held its annual Formal (basically, a college version of prom where drinking is allowed and encourage by legal means only) at the Hilton in Downtown Fort Worth. It was a good turnout with Betas from different eras. The only bad thing about the event was that there was a cash bar and this is when the accidental wedding crasher comes in the play.


When I was coming in to the Hilton, there were several wedding events that were occurring at the same time which usually means one thing: open bar.

Once I discovered this gem, I took full advantage of it. But just to let you know, I did accidentally stumble across this precious find.

When I arrived at the hotel for my formal, I had no clue which room it was actually being held in. I called some friends and they said that it was up the stairs and to the right. I followed those directions to the T and saw a group of people hanging out with everyone.

I thought this was my group because the formal is the one event where all Betas, whether you are an alumni or still in school, can go to. So as I am walking around introducing myself to people thinking that they are just the old people in the frat and drinking their free beer, I soon discovered that this is not my banquet at all. It was actually a wedding reception for Sara and John. I confirmed this when a member from the wedding asked us to sign the wedding portrait as we walked in to the dinning area.

I, of course, freaked out about this because I did not want people to think that I was some dickhead crashing a wedding to get some booze and ass. I quickly asked for where the restroom was so I could have a reason of getting out of there and find where I was actually supposed to be, but I only did this after signing the wedding photo with a fake name.

After finding my group, which was the floor directly above where the wedding reception was, I told them what happened. They laughed and they thought it would a great idea for some of them to go down there like they were in the wedding and get a free drink so they could save a little bit of money that night.

The formal ended up being fun. I had some drinks, danced with a random cop's girlfriend, ate some food, and then went to some after parties in a couple of the hotel rooms that people got for the night.

Another part of the fun was watching people "borrow" things from the hotel from and stash them in other people's room. I know it sounds childish, but when you have a group of people hopped up on pizza and alcohol, some stupid decisions will be made. An example of one of these decisions was trying 9 people in a Jeep Wrangler to go 3 blocks and pick up some pizza. Actually, that had to be one of the best decisions ever made because I was starving.

No comments: