Monday, November 15, 2010

Jeff Bridges and T Bone Burnett

On Saturday, Down Town Fort Worth was holding its annual International LoneStar Film Festival in Sundance Square. This event is know for showcasing independent films and honoring an actor/actress for the contribution to film. This year, they decided to honor Jeff "The Dude" Bridges".

I didn't get to attended any of the film screenings or the Award Acceptance Event for The Dude, but I did get to attend something that I though I was much cooler. Earlier in the year, Bridges won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Crazy Heart. I never saw the movie, but from what everyone told me, he definitely deserved the Oscar for his performance as an aging country musician.

To showcase his musical ability, Jeff Bridges played a 40 minute concert with the main songwriter for the Crazy Heart movie T Bone Burnett. They guys sounded great together. Jeff Bridges played guitar and song a majority of the songs along with T Bone. The both of them got a chance to sing by themselves and it was pretty interesting to watch.

I was surprised that I got there 15 minutes the show was supposed to start and had no problem at getting to the front of the stage. I was within 5 feet of the musicians and could have probably given them a high five if I had a longer reach.

The concert was supposed to start at 9:30, but they did not come out on the stage until a little after 10. And within that 45 minute time frame, the 8.0 bar with from tons of standing room left to absolutely none at all.

Everyone in the crowd seem to enjoy the show and wish that it was longer. But right after the show ended, almost everyone at the 8.0 bar left and either went home or to a different bar. It was cool to see an actor do something else like play in a band and actually be good at it. And plus I doubt I will ever get a chance to see "The Dude" play country music again.

No comments: