Tuesday, November 2, 2010

William Shatner and Christopher Lloyd

A couple weeks ago, a convention came through town that I normally would not attend. The convention was called Fan Days and it was a Star Trek/Sci Fi Convention. The convention was host to a bunch of sci fi celebrities that I have never heard of but a couple of them did stand out to me enough that I wanted to attend. And those people were Christopher Lloyd and William Shatner.

Just to meet Shatner and Lloyd would be awesome and I knew that this chance would not come around again. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek or any of Shatner's early work, but I do know him from Miss Congeniality, Boston Legal, and Shit My Dad Says. He was obviously the main attraction of the convention and was there for only a day.

The other person I wanted to meet was Christopher Lloyd. Almost everyone knows him from the Back To The Future movies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and the TV show Taxi. I grew up watching Back To The Future and it is one of my favorite movies of all time. The movie is so popular that there have been some parodies made (one of them may or may not be an adult movie).

Since there were so many people who wanted a chance to meet the one and only William Shatner, that the people in charge of the event had to let attendees go in groups at a time starting at noon. There were about 30 people in each group and it did not take long until another group was called. Whoever was in charge of this line really did have their shit together because there were no problems at all.

After waiting for only an hour for my group to be called, it was time to meet Bill Shatner. The line moved smoothly and swiftly, but unfortunately there were no hardcore die hard fans that just went crazy to meet him. Shatner did seem like your everdayman who has happy to meet everyone. I got to talk to him for a minute about nothing really and I got an autograph picture of him. He seemed pretty damn cool and relaxed and actually enjoyed meeting hundreds of his fans.

As I waited for my turn to meet Shatner, I met a couple of celebrities in order to pass the time. One of the celebrities that I got a chance to meet was Tia Carrere. She is know for playing Cassandra Wong in Wayne's World, Juno Skinner in True Lies, and now she is desperately trying to hold on to her career by playing some lady on some show on The Sci Fy Network. She was ok to meet but not too exciting to be honest.

The next person I got an autograph from, I had to do it in a shady way. The celebrity in question was Christopher Lloyd and the line to meet him was at least an hour long. So what does one do when they are in this kind of dilemma, act like a 1st grader and cut your way in that line of course.

Christopher Lloyd was in a room with several other people, one of which was the non enthusiastic Tia Carrere. Everyone got in line thinking that this was the line to get into the room and not just to meet one person. When this situation became apparent the staff, they went up and down the line to announce that if you would like to meet anyone else other than Christopher Lloyd, then you can jump the line and go right in. Cue Kevin acting like a 1st grader.

I went to the convention with my friend Jon and I told him about the classic line cutting that was about to occur. As we went into the celebrity room, Jon quickly got into the Christopher Lloyd meet and Greet Line.

The good thing about this was that the rest of the Doc Brown line had to form outside of the room. And since, we were now in the room and no one from the outside could see us cutting, we had it made. Instead of waiting at least an hour to meet the villain from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, we only had to wait about 10 minutes.

The other person I got the chance to meet was Tom Felton, the kid who plays Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter series. Two great things occurred during the day that involved this guy. The first event was having a crazy, hyperactive girl next to me while waiting in line to meet him. She was jumping up and down with her eyes full of tears due to the anticipation of meeting her favorite actor of all time. And by all time, I mean right now because it you that shit is going to change pretty damn quickly.

The other occurrence, even though I know this is going to sound weird, was the fact that this kid can take a mean deuce. Now let me tell you what happened before you make up your own conclusion that may end up with me under a crystal clear glass table and Draco squatting above it.

During my wait for the William Shatner meet and greet, I had to answer nature's call and go to the bathroom. As I was trying to avoid the crowd and not run into anyone, I noticed someone behind me telling me to walk a little faster and to hurry up. I didn't think anything of it because I just thought it was some kid who was about to have an accident if he didn't to the bathroom quick enough.

As I walked into the bathroom, the sinks and mirrors are immediately to the left and Tom "I am about to shit my pants" Felton dashed by me in order to make it to the stall in time.

When he passed by, you could hear a couple of other people who were already in the restroom say some jokes about how bad he had to go to the bathroom. And then it occurred. Every guy knows the sound of someone unleashing a horrible bomb in the bathroom, but its usually in a privacy of their own throne.

Almost instantaneously, everyone in the bathroom started to crack up and make even more jokes. One guy even got on the phone to tell his friends what was going on. I left the bathroom because even though it was pretty funny, it was getting kind of weird in there. Once I left, I saw a bunch of girls waiting outside for him so they could get a picture of him. If only they knew that kid smelled like a huge pile of crap, they probably wouldn't want that picture.

No comments: