Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Original Mud Run 2011

What is The Original Mud Run? Well, its six miles, 30 tricked out obstacles, a fantastic course and a bumping after party is what makes The Original Mud Run the dirtiest event of the year. That is the official description of the Original Mud Run that I took from there website. I like to call this particular event "Muddy Hell With A Dose of Awesomeness".

The Original Mud Run is a charity event that supports the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. A group of 7 of us made a team and participated in the event. There were about a couple of thousand people or more who participated in the event just on Saturday.

The Mud Run had races start every hour starting at 8 am until 4 in the afternoon. We signed up for the 11 am race because we knew that there would be no way in hell that we were going to get up super early and do a race at 8 in the morning.

Right from the start, we had to run a quarter mile and then run down hill into the Trinity River, circle around some pillars, and then run back up the hill and run another quarter mile to the next obstacle course.

As the race went on and on, the obstacles became harder and closer together. Here are the obstacles that I had to complete in order to finish the race:


  1. Balance Beam

  2. Once Unders

  3. Stairway To Heaven

  4. Hanging Log Walk

  5. Over and Unders

  6. Leap of Faith

  7. Pots

  8. Levy-ity

  9. Quigley

  10. Log Walk

  11. River Crossing

  12. Mine Field

  13. Run Forest Run

  14. Mud Pit

  15. Slip-N-Slide

  16. The Bog

  17. The English Channel

  18. The Hurdles

  19. The Low Crawl

  20. The Moguls

  21. The Rope Bridge

  22. The Wall

  23. Tire Crawl

  24. Tunnels

  25. Web of Lies

  26. Window to the World

  27. Rope Swing

  28. Tire Mountain

  29. Hole to Hades

  30. Gorilla Ropes
Out of the 1,375 that completed the race of Saturday, I placed 502. Not too bad for someone who isn't a hardcore athletic person. You can can see the full results here.

When out group completely finished the race, we got out 2 free beers, and BBQ sandwhich, and enjoyed the band that was playing. There was also a fire truck that was used to hose people down and get the majority of the mud off of the competitors. I tried to get all of the mud off of me but I still had to get hosed down again when I got home.

I left around 3 sun burnt, tired, and hungry from the race, but I had to get home as soon as I could because I had to go to a wedding for a co-worker at 4:30. The next Mud Run isn't until the Fall but I do have another run that I am doing called the Warrior Dash. I better survive that one because it does include running through fire and climbing 30 foot high cargo nets without any safety wires.

No comments: