Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Austin City Limits 2010 - Day 2

Its time for day 2 of this 3 day long concert and our group is taking a different approach. Since the majority of the bands that we wanted to see were at stages right next to each other, we decided to camp out in the middle of the two stages so we could get a decent view and earshot of both of the stages. And it worked out just fine.

Due to our extremely creative thinking, I am pretty sure we were inducted into Mensa because of this, we were able to get great seats for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Pete Yorn, Lucero, Manchester Orchestra, Broken Bells, The Temper Trap, and Gogol Bordello.

The 1st band I saw was Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Let me tell you, Grace Potter has a voice and set of legs on her that should make a lot of ladies nervous. The band has been described as a "modern day version of Tina Turner stroking the microphone in a spangled mini-dress while fronting the Rolling Stones circa Sticky Fingers". The quote couldn't be closer to the truth. If you don't believe me, check out her song "Paris (Ohh La La)" and "Tiny Light". I couldn't think of a better way to start the 2nd day at ACL. Grace Potter's complete set list can be found here.

For the next couple of hours, I was hearing the music but not really paying attention to it. I ran into my friend Jenny and hung out with her husband and their group for a while. Some of the groups we listen to as we talked were Pete Yorn (known for being a badass on guitar), Lucero (known for being new to me, that is not a song, I just never heard of them before), The Manchester Orchestra (known for Wolves at Night), Broken Bells (one of the members is Brian Burton aka Danger Mouse), The Temper Trap (known for Sweet Disposition), and Gogol Bodello (known for their song "Party"). They all had a couple of songs that I recognized and could sing along to. One reason that I love attending ACL is that normally, I wouldn't see these bands by themselves because I don't know much about them. From seeing their portion at the festival I would probably be more inclined to do so now. Here are the set list for The Broken Bells and The Manchester Orchestra.

I have been at the concert since noon and it is now 7:30 and its time for the big sought out bands to start playing. I am not an avid fan of techno and I really don't know much about it, but I did want to see Deadmau5 (pronounced Deadmouse). Let me tell you, this guy is the shit (from a novice point of view of course). First of all, he wears a mouse costume and second his concerts are more like shows. Here are couple of examples of what I am talking about. Example 1. Example 2.

After the Deadmou5 show, it was time for Muse to come on and take the stage. I have seen Muse before when I saw U2 a year ago, so I was anticipating how good of a show Muse would put on. And they did not disappoint at all. They started their set with the song "Uprising" with green neon lights going all over the place. This was by far the most crowded of the shows of the night. People were divided by either Muse or MIA and you could tell what their choice was. During their show, Muse did play a decent cover of The Star Spangled Banner that went right into Hysteria. The band played for 90 minutes and gained most of the fans that left the MIA show early. You could witness a sea of people singing along to almost of Muse's songs from beginning to end. This show seemed alot better than the one I saw with U2. Their complete set list is here.

Next up, The Final Day at ACL.

No comments: