Monday, April 5, 2010

St Paddy's Day: Gilligan's Irish Block Party

I have been at my new job for over a year now which means I have not had a Spring Break in 2 years. This is really inconvenient since St. Paddy's Day always fell during my former Spring Break.

Like last year, I had to work a full days worth of work and then trek it down to a local bar named J. Gilligan's. Gilligan's is known for its annual St. Paddy's Day Block Party and Irish nachos.

Gilligan's usually goes all out for this huge party. There are several stages for bands (one inside and the main stage outside), tons of beer, food galore, Celtic dancers, and more than enough of port-o-pottys.

I met up with Stephanie, Gayle and others around 6:30 and the place was already packed. The block party started at noon, but the bands didn't start until 5.

Since I had to get up for work early the next morning, I decided only to stay for a couple of hours. Apparently I am far too sensitive to peer pressure because I stayed later than I had planned to.

I think the main reason for staying out too late was obviously having too much fun with all of my friends. By the end of the night, a group of at least 20 friends and I were just having too much fun drinking and just hanging out. Green beer was being passed around like water, horrible greasy food was being consumed at an unhealthy rate, and people who had no dancing abilities at all were strutting their stuff like they were trying out for Soul Train.

After what seemed like only a couple of hours and only a few beers later turned into 6 hours later and more than enough alcoholic beverages to last me for the rest of the week, it was time to finally end the night. This was also one of the cheapest St. Paddy's Day I have ever been too. The whole night only ended up costing me $30, which is really good compared to last year which was known as "The Year of Too Much Jager".

No comments: