Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grapevine, TX: City of Elderly Drunks

Last Friday, Brittney, Tril, Natalie and I decided to get out of Arlington for a night and have dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Grapevine called Ezparza's. Grapevine is a pretty small town and is primarily known for it local wineries and annual wine festival.

Ezparza's was great but it was the people at the restaurant is what made the night memorable. First of all, even before the night began, we saw our first drunk person of the night. And I don't mean "Hey, this lady is kind of tipsy and its not even 8 yet" kind of drunk, this lady was full blown "Hey, I have been here since 3 in the afternoon, my blouse is unbuttoned, my right boob is almost hanging out, and I am wearing the last two shots I attempted to take" kind of drunk. Aka, my dream girl.

As we went to the bar and get a quick drink, we stood who we thought would be a normal man in his 70s, but of course we were wrong. The old man, who dressed liked a kind of skinnier version of Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard, took it upon himself to show us his trade mark talent. And his talent was nothing but making "Choo Choo Train" sounds with his hands. This guy was just nuts. And this was not just a one time occurrence, Crazy Train Man was doing this for about 10 minutes, took a break, and kept on with his antics.

We finally sat down to order and eat, which had no problems at all. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal and since it was a nice night, we decided to walk around Main Street for a little bit. We have only been walking about about 3 minutes when we came across an old man in his 60s face down in a public trashcan just throwing up everything he consumed that night and probably the night before as well. It was hard not to laugh because, honestly, how often do you get to see some guy at his age get sick like that. It was pretty awesome.

As we walked down the street a little more, we saw another drunk guy. This time he was being propped up by his wife and daughter as they helped him cross the street to get to their car safely. He kept on calling his wife and daughter the best looking crutches that he has ever had.

Brittney, Natalie, Tril and I decided to cross the street and we found even more drunk people in the streets. I kind of looked like a geriatric version of Mardi Gras in New Orleans if only wine was served to people. Drunk people, wine bottles, and vomit covered the streets so people knew everyone was having a good time.

Before we called it a night, we wanted to go to a local winery and try some samples of their products. I don't know what the winery was called that we chose to go to, but it was damn tasty. I tried something that tasted like some sort of jalapeno wine and I was surprised how good it tasted. At the end of the night, we all got to sign our name on the wall of the winery. The owner was pretty pleased with us because she said that we were the most sober people that came in all night and we didn't try to steal anything. When we left, Brittney asked me if took anything, because that is what happens if i drink too much. I said no and she said she was surprised. Apparently I am losing my touch in my old age.

No comments: